Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join OPS
Search

Memories
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/20/2019 at 11:38:14 AM GMT
Memories

I had just graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa class of 1973 when I found myself employed as a medical assistant for eyes with an Ophthalmologist in Lewiston, Maine.  I was such a newbie so green and wet behind the ears. I was working so hard to wrap my brain around this specialty and one day my boss said he had met someone on the plane flying back from the 1975 AAO meeting in Dallas.  He said this individual takes pictures of the back of the eye and had offered to help me.  He told me this person's name was Don Juan.  I said,  "Are you kidding me?"  He said "No" and gave me his contact number.  He told me to call and meet him in New York City at Cabrini Hospital. Well, I did and discovered that this person's name was really Don Wong.  Don met with me and gave me a tour of his new dark room, showing me film and developing.  He said his previous dark room was small and really hot to work in but he managed to get funding for a new darkroom when one of the hospital sisters saw him come out of the dark room in his shorts and t-shirt.  The sister was mortified and Don got his new dark room.  As we were laughing in the darkroom, there was a gentle knock on the door and a tiny voice said "Don, are you ok? Is there someone in there with you?"  We both looked at each other and laughed again.  He said "I'm ok. I'm not talking to myself.  I am with Phil Chin from Maine, just showing him around".  He then took me out to lunch where I tried to absorb everything he said.  After I returned to NY to attend meetings with NYSOMA, the New York Society of Ophthalmic Assistants, including the Eastern Regional 2 in May of 1977 with my new Chinese connections of Ken Fong, Dorothy Wong, Scott Wong and of course Don Wong.

In the course of several years, I attended many OPS annual meetings. But the one I remember most fondly was at the 1998 OPS annual meeting in New Orleans.  I had decided to dress up as the "Crow" and on my way to the banquet, I saw a group of photographers slowly walking to the banquet.  In the middle of that group was Don Wong walking carefully with his cane.  I quickly ran up behind him and put my arm around him.  Before the group could intervene to protect Don from this lunatic, Don just nonchalantly smiled and said "Hi Phil, you haven't changed a bit".  

Attached Images:

4/25/2019 at 6:26:26 PM GMT
I love this story, Phil. Don Wong was always the gentleman, but did enjoy a good laugh too.

5/1/2019 at 9:47:24 PM GMT
Oh man, Phil! What a great memory of that great man! No wonder you tried to impersonate him so often through the years! I think you were his favorite "naughty" kid!

You obviously well learned from him as your OPS service as Board member and JCAHPO Commissioner was sterling, and greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing my friend.

5/10/2019 at 1:17:29 PM GMT
I remember my first Educational Program in Chicago of 1993. I had recently graduated from RIT and roomed with Bill Nyberg (my boss) and what hoot!!! Being new to the society, and a new CRA, it was great to meet everyone and see the friendships made and collaboration among peers. Well it didn't take long for me to get involved working on the Scientific Exhibit, JJJr Scholarship, BOC it's been a great time. I was fortunate enough that when I was working at Indiana University I got to see and the fundus camera the original human FA was taken on. I hope to acquire it for our meeting in San Francisco this year.

Sign In

Latest News
Calendar

10/11/2019 » 10/14/2019
2019 OPS 50th Annual Education Program-San Francisco

COPYRIGHT © 2011-2019 THE AUTHOR(S) AND THE OPHTHALMIC PHOTOGRAPHERS' SOCIETY INC.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.