Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join OPS
Search

FA shot during the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake (Loma Prieta)
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/30/2019 at 8:56:19 PM GMT
FA shot during the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake (Loma Prieta)
I had just started shooting an FA before the 1989 Loma Prieta (San Francisco) Earthquake hit at 5:04 pm (working OT as usual! haha!) on October 17.  All  FA images prior to the shaking were excellent, except for the last image I captured which was at the moment it hit us at 36.4 seconds post injection.  I said to the patient "OK, please stop moving Mr. _____."   When the books on the shelf fell over seconds later I realized we were in an earthquake and stopped the FA.  Total earthquake time was about 15 seconds and the damage was extensive with part of the Bay Bridge collapsing and trapping people, homes knocked off their foundations, a fire in the Marina District, etc.  Game 3 of the World Series was just  minutes away from starting when the quake hit. The SF Giants were on the field at Candlestick Park getting ready to play the Oakland A's.  See the attached FA negatives and the SF Examiner Front Page from the following day.  

Michael P. Kelly, FOPS
Director, Duke Eye Labs

Attached Images:

7/1/2019 at 4:57:42 AM GMT
Oh Man! What a great? maybe fascinating memory, Mike! I had a memory that was not that dramatic, but certainly sad..... I was doing an angiogram when the Challenger blew up. A colleague ran excitedly up to the camera room door to tell me why people were agitated out in the hallway, but before he could say anything, I asked him to wait just a moment until the transit phase was over. We finished the study per the usual protocol, but both the patient and I had to wipe our tears several times before we were done.

7/8/2019 at 12:23:51 PM GMT
Mine's not as exciting. In 1988 I was working for Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance in Milwaukee as a darkroom tech and was using 2 enlargers and putting the prints in a Kreonite print processor. While making one print I felt the something on the 7 floor of the building and I didn't give it a second thought. I then proceeded to make another print on the other enlarger. When the first print came out it was blurry and I could have sworn that it was sharp in the grain scope. While checking my focus an announcement came over the radio that the city experienced a 1.9 earthquake. I still have the photo somewhere in my archives. I'll see if I can find it.
On another note I found an 8x10 negative of the Edmond Fitzgerald. Northwestern Mutual was the insurer of the vessel. Of course I make a contact print of that too.

Sign In

Latest News
Calendar

10/11/2019 » 10/14/2019
2019 OPS 50th Annual Education Program-San Francisco

COPYRIGHT © 2011-2019 THE AUTHOR(S) AND THE OPHTHALMIC PHOTOGRAPHERS' SOCIETY INC.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.