Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join OPS
Search

50th Anniversary Memories
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Posting a memory to this forum 0 T. Bennett This photo is of me being sworn in as the first female President of the OPS.  This was taken at the Business Meeting November 1994 in San Francisco, which also happened to be the 25th Anniversary of the OPS.  I’m surrounded by many of my lifelong friends, a few whom alas, are no longer with us.  Patrick Saine, CRA, past president, is passing the gavel to me. It was a bittersweet victory as I was running against my best friend and mentor, J. Michael Coppinger An OPS member since 1980, I had been and continue to be a strong advocate for the inclusion of more women, and technicians in particular, into our society.   It took 25 years to elect me, and there have only been two other female presidents since.  In a society comprised predominiately  of women, I would have expected this event to happen sooner, and more often.  Ladies!  Time to lean in ! In addition, I beat out my good friend and mentor, Michael Coppinger, of JMC Eye Photo for the position.  He and I went on to lecture together with JMC Eye Photo for the next 20 years. Here’s a little side note- I’m 6 months pregnant in this photo.  While I will never again go down in the history books as the only female president, I may well still retain the title of the only PREGNANT president in the history of the OPS. Denice ( Bartlett ) Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS OPS President 1994-1996  
by D. Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS
Thursday, March 28, 2019
FA shot during the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake (Loma Prieta) 3 M. Kelly, On 9/11 when I heard that a second aircraft had hit the other WTC tower, I turned to my nurse who was doing injections and said "You know Pat, we are at war". Pat replied "Oh John do you think so?" It was unfathomable for her. We didn't have a television in our waiting room.  I set up a radio.  So many of our patients who had heard the reports of Pearl Harbor on a radio were hearing about this new "Pearl Harbor", on a radio. My office was just a couple of miles off the east end of one of O'Hare's busiest runways. Getting a chance to walk outside at 11:30am there was the most ominous quiet. Not a plane in sight at a place where with a casual scan one would typically see at least a dozen aircraft.
by J. Gerty
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Slit Lamp Camera 0 K. Aletter Any recommendations for an easy to use slit lamp camera!
by K. Aletter
Saturday, August 3, 2019
...and here's another Pic showing the great OPS camaraderie! 1 M. Kelly, ... all pointing to the guy who said he'd pick up the tab, right? I totally agree with you Mike. Online is great in respect to both education and convenience. But I find it very special when I can connect with the incredible imagers I've come to know and respect "live and in-person".Gary
by
Friday, July 12, 2019
Certification opened many doors for me 3 T. Bennett Off the top of my head I believe the COPRAs were. My apologies if I got any of these wrong:Jamie NichollDenise CunninghamCsaba MartonyiKen ChristophersonBruce BusseTim BennettTerry TomerEarl Choromokos
by T. Bennett
Thursday, July 11, 2019
OPS: Good Times, Great Friends! 0 M. Kelly, The OPS is all about education in the field of Ophthalmic Photography, but we all have built such great life-long friendships over the years.  When I got my first job in the field it was with Howard Schatz, MD in SF and I had heard all about my predecessor Richard Hackel -and all bout his antics, artistry, and expertise (in that order).  Soon after I met him at an OPS Annual Program in New Orleans on the Riverboat Nachez (2 decades ago?!?!?)  -I recognized him immediately when he came out of the bathroom with his bow tie and those cheap glasses that have the eyeballs that fall out on slinkys!  We've been life-long friends ever since.  Pictured in the attached photo from that time is L to R: Richard, me, my wife Evelyn, and Stewart Martin.    I know you'll all agree that the OPS has enriched our lives both professionally and personally!   Happy 50th to the OPS!
by M. Kelly,
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Memories 3 P. Chin I remember my first Educational Program in Chicago of 1993. I had recently graduated from RIT and roomed with Bill Nyberg (my boss) and what hoot!!! Being new to the society, and a new CRA, it was great to meet everyone and see the friendships made and collaboration among peers. Well it didn't take long for me to get involved working on the Scientific Exhibit, JJJr Scholarship, BOC it's been a great time. I was fortunate enough that when I was working at Indiana University I got to see and the fundus camera the original human FA was taken on. I hope to acquire it for our meeting in San Francisco this year.
by T. Steffens
Friday, May 10, 2019
Many years ago! 0 H. Carmello I want to say I went to my first meeting back in the early 2000’s in Anaheim,California. Never did I feel more welcome! I will never forget all of the people I met and how to this day I am still a member! Thanks ops for shaping my career and enhancing my role in the field!
by H. Carmello
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Members Memories San Francisco November 1994 0 D. Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS This photo is of me being sworn in as the first female President of the OPS.  This was taken at the Business Meeting November 1994 in San Francisco, which also happened to be the 25th Anniversary of the OPS.  I’m surrounded by many of my lifelong friends, a few whom alas, are no longer with us.  Patrick Saine, CRA, past president, is passing the gavel to me.  It was a bittersweet victory.   An OPS member since 1980, I had been and continue to be a strong advocate for the inclusion of more women, and technicians in particular, into our society.   It took 25 years to elect me, and there have only been two other female presidents since.  In a society comprised predominiately  of women, I would have expected this event to happen sooner, and more often.  Ladies!  Time to lean in!  In addition, I beat out my good friend and mentor, Michael Coppinger, of JMC Eye Photo for the position.  He and I went on to lecture together with JMC Eye Photo for the next 20 years. I'm giving my first speech as President at the banquet same year in a maternity dress and here I am with "my BOD".  Lucky me, I was the only female! While I will never again go down in the history books as the only female president, I may well still retain the title of the only PREGNANT president in the history of the OPS. Denice ( Bartlett ) Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS OPS President 1994-1996
by D. Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS
Friday, March 29, 2019
First Precious Memory 0 P. Morris I am pleased to share this OPS memory.  It is one of my first and meaningful to me so maybe that is why it is a favorite. Though I had been imaging for 9 years already, I was new to the OPS when I was asked to help with the first OPS Mid-Year destination educational program at Park City, Utah in 1984.  I was excited to meet and completely intimidated by all the seasoned and talented photographers I met there.  I'd been working in a private practice with no other photographers and i was absolutely self-taught, except for reading Emery Billings' monthly articles on ophthalmic photography in Ophthalmology Times.  I had no real sense of the quality of the images I was making or if I was even doing them correctly!   The faculty had been very friendly and I felt accepted by the meeting team.  We were sitting collectively in the back row of the auditorium at the Claim Jumper conference center.  There I was, sitting in the midst of some true ophthalmic photography giants:  Terry George, Bill Nyberg, Emery Billings, Terry Tomer, Paul Montague, Dennis Makes, Sheila Smith, Michael Coppinger, Bruce Morris...  It was a heady moment.  We were listening to a lecture by Csaba Martonyi who was giving us a little mini-quiz on  technique.  I was surrounded by these imaging veterans who were casually shouting out the answers to Csaba's questions to keep the lecture going.  Csaba projected a slide that showed a large inferior crescent light artifact, and asked,"How would you eliminate this artifact?"  No one said a word!  I looked left and right, wondering why the answer hadn't been shouted out by the noisy back row folks and suddenly realized that while no one was saying anything, everyone was rotating their right hands in the air as if over a floating joy stick, and I was doing the same!  Hooray!  I had found community!  May be I DID have an inkling of how to manage a camera and take good photos!  Pretty soon we were all giggling over everyone's "ability to do it, but not say it!" And after that, students started to find their voices and Csaba no longer had to rely on the mouthy back row kids to supply the answers to his questions. For me, it was a great memory, a great meeting, and my first excellent experience with OPS educational programs.
by P. Morris
Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Sign In

Latest News

COPYRIGHT © 2011-2019 THE AUTHOR(S) AND THE OPHTHALMIC PHOTOGRAPHERS' SOCIETY INC.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.